By Ludmila Brighenti and James Rusak (CCC chair)
It is with joy that the GLEON Collaborative Climate Committee (CCC) and Graduate Student Association (GSA) welcome Paula Zapperi and Thomas Harmon as new members of the CCC, and Liz Ryder as the new co-chair of the CCC. They were elected to be the member of the committee in February 2014, and we are excited to see the new enthusiasm and contributions they have to offer.
The CCC was formed in 2008 to promote better integration of students in GLEON and quickly expanded its scope to include all of the GLEON membership. The CCC helps maintain a welcoming, inclusive, inspirational, and productive environment in GLEON.
The committee consists of participants that have experience with graduate students, expertise with organizational issues, and represent the diversity of interests from various career stages/types within GLEON.
The following are the current members of the committee:
- Chair: Jim Rusak, Dorset Environmental Science Centre, Canada
- Co-chair Elect: Elizabeth Ryder, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Ireland
- Ex-Officio Chair: Catherine O’Reilly, Illinois State University, USA
- Stefan Bertilsson, University of Uppsala, Sweden
- Lisette N. de Senerpont Domis, Netherlands Institute of Ecology, Netherlands
- Bruce Hargreaves, Lehigh University, USA
- Thomas Harmon, University of California – Merced, USA
- Alo Laas, Estonian University of Life Sciences, Estonia
- Chris McBride, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Kohji Muraoka (GLEON Student Association seat), University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Cintia Piccolo, Instituto Argentino de Oceanografía, Argentina
- Paula Zapperi, Universidad Nacional del Sur, Argentina
Earlier this year, the CCC said farewell to Ian Jones and Grace Hong as they rotated off at the end of their terms and welcomed Thomas Harmon, Elizabeth Ryder and Paula Zapperi as new members. The CCC is very grateful to Ian and Grace for their dedication and service to GLEON and looks forward to the new ideas and energy that Tom, Liz and Paula bring to the committee.
In July of this year, Liz Ryder, was also elected to the new co-chair position of the CCC. Liz has been a GLEON member since 2008 and has served the GLEON Student Association (GSA) as chair and co-chair for four of those years. As GSA chair and co-chair, she contributed to many initiatives including the GSA newsletter and its Operating Principles and Procedures. We welcome Liz as the new CCC co-chair elect. We’re certain she will do an excellent job. Congratulations, Liz!